WESTWOOD, MA (June 2020) – As the need for blood donations continues to be of importance, University Station in Westwood (ShopUniversityStation.com) will partner with the American Red Cross to host two blood donation drives on Monday, June 8 and Tuesday, June 23, 2020 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the center.
The drives are by appointment only, please register at RedCrossBlood.org/give and enter the sponsor code UniversityStation. Organizers will practice social distancing procedures and advanced safety protocols.
“University Station is pleased to partner with the American Red Cross,” says Rebekah Macchia, Marketing Director of University Station. “During these challenging times, the demand for blood donations continues and this drive provides a safe and convenient way to give,” she adds.
It is safe to donate blood. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has stated that the coronavirus (COVID-19) does not pose any known risk to blood donors during the donation process or from attending blood drives.
Red Cross Donation Safety Protocols
The top priority of the Red Cross is the safety of our donors, volunteers, employees and blood recipients, and we are committed to transparency with the American public during this evolving public health emergency. There are no data or evidence that this coronavirus can be transmissible by blood transfusion, and there have been no reported cases worldwide of transmissions for any respiratory virus including this coronavirus.
Donating blood products is essential to community health and eligible donors are strongly urged to donate blood, platelets, or AB Elite plasma. The Red Cross only collects blood from individuals who are healthy and feeling well at the time of donation – and who meet other eligibility requirements.
At each blood drive or donation center, Red Cross employees follow thorough safety protocols, including:
- Wearing gloves and changing them often.
- Wiping down donor-touched areas after every collection.
- Using sterile collection sets for every donation.
- Preparing the arm for donation with aseptic scrub.
- Conducting donor mini physicals to ensure donors are healthy and well on day of donation.
The American Red Cross has increased vigilance concerning some of these safety protocols including:
- Enhanced disinfecting of surfaces and equipment.
- Providing hand sanitizer for use before entering and throughout the donation appointment.
- Temperature checks before presenting donors enter the blood drive or donation center.
- Following social distancing practices between donors including donor beds, as well as waiting and refreshment areas.
- During this time, blankets typically used by platelet, Power Red and AB Elite donors at Red Cross blood donation centers will be laundered after each use, which may limit the availability. Donors are encouraged to bring their own blankets, but electric blankets and heating pads are not permitted.
- Staff wearing basic face masks.
To ensure our staff are healthy each day, we have implemented standard staff health assessments prior to all blood drives. Finally, only eligible and healthy people can give blood. These mitigation measures will help ensure blood recipient safety, as well as staff and donor safety in reducing contact with those who may potentially have this respiratory infection.
University Station is a vibrant, mixed-used development in Westwood, Massachusetts combining unique retail, restaurant, residential and office uses. Located on University Avenue at Exit 13 on Route 128/I-95, University Station is adjacent to the Route 128 MBTA Commuter Rail/Amtrak Station. Anchored by Target, Wegmans and Nordstrom Rack, University Station features an exciting mix of restaurants and stores including Del Frisco’s Grille, Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza, Not Your Average Joe’s, Smashburger, Homesense, Michaels, Marshalls/HomeGoods, PetSmart, Ulta Beauty, and more. Courtyard by Marriott®, New England’s first Life Time Athletic, Gables Residential (featuring 350 luxury apartments) and Bridges by Epoch (a memory care facility) are also at University Station. For more information visit www.ShopUniversityStation.com.